|Home||French Court, France|
|Title||King Henry II of France|
|Portrayed by||Alan van Sprang|
|Latest appearance||Liege Lord|
|“||Henry's fondness for anyone is eclipsed by his love of power.||”|
Henry II of France (French: Henri II) is the King of France. He is the husband of Catherine, and the father of Francis, Sebastian, Elizabeth, Claude, Charles and Henry Jr. He is the father-in-law of Mary Stuart. He is portrayed by Canadian actor Alan van Sprang.
In the Pilot,
In Snakes in the Garden, Catherine and Henry are discussing Charles’, Francis’ younger brother, future wedding to Madeline, who is French as well so they would not have to worry about her loyalties. Later Henry questions Catherine on why she did not inform him when she found out Colin was still alive, and that he should be notified of these things immediately, regardless if he is with his mistress or not, day or night. Henry seems mistrustful of Catherine, and her interactions with Nostradamus.
Francis, showing something other than disdain for Mary in his father’s presence for the first time, brings his concerns about the English to Henry’s attention. Henry doesn’t care, is intent to keep Mary in France to use as a weapon when he sees fit. After Francis mentions ending the engagement and sending her back to Scotland, he learns that Mary’s mother does not want her back without a king as a husband and an army to potentially use. Henry calls Francis out on his intentions, questioning his worry about someone he doesn’t want to marry.
Henry visits Kenna’s rooms with the man she was with earlier. He asks if he would be willing to marry Kenna, no questions asked, if he had the blessing of his king. When he agrees, and is sent on his way, Henry informs Kenna that her prospects expands when she is in the king’s favor. He then pulls her into a kiss and tells her to think about his offer.
In Hearts and Minds,
In Left Behind, he is dealing with a peasant uprising, thus leaving him absent.
In Fated, he announces his plan to have Mary and Francis married, so that Mary would also take her claim on the English throne, as the English Queen is on her deathbed.
In For King and Country, as the guards caught Mary and Sebastian, he threatens to kill Bash if Mary doesn't take her claim on the English throne. As Mary decides to take her claim only if she marries Bash, Henry is forced to legitimize him. He says he shall leave for Rome.
In Sacrifice, he is in Rome trying to negociate Sebastian's legitimization.
Henry is headstrong, stubborn, and does not appreciate people undermining his authority as royalty. He appears to be a bit of a hedonist, having 2 mistresses and a wife. Despite this, he seems to be really caring toward his children, even more toward his first-born and bastard son Sebastian.
Henry is tall with a muscular build. He has a shaved head and stubble, with dark brown eyes.
|Relationship With||Relationship Page||Type|
|Diane de Poitiers||Henry and Diane||Romantic|
|Kenna||Kenna and Henry||Romantic|
|Catherine de' Medici||Henry and Catherine||Romantic (formerly)|
|Sebastian||Henry and Sebastian||Family|
|Francis||Francis and Henry||Family|
|Snakes in the Garden||Appears|
|Hearts and Minds||Appears|
|A Chill in the Air||Mentioned|
|For King and Country||Appears|
- King Henry II was already in love with Diane de Poitiers and remained lovers before his wedding to Queen Catherine and they stayed that way for 25 years until his death.
- It was believed that Sebastian was his favorite child, however he threatened to kill him multiple times, in For King and Country.
- In Inquisition, he admitted he was once in love with Catherine.
- He died at the age of 40.
- In reality, Henry was not a tyrant, or cold or cruel, and he was much more affectionate with his legitimate children than Catherine was. Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor once complained that Henry was not as warlike as his father, Francois I.
- Henry hated the House of Habsburg, particuarly Spain, much more than he ever hated England since he was a child hostage for nearly four years of Charles V.
- The sport of jousting fell into decline due to his tragic death(Historically).
- King Henry has gone mad revealed in Monsters.
- He is sexual and has sexual relationships with Kenna, Penelope, and some other woman.
Henry II has a photo gallery.