|“||I was wrong. What I asked of you, the backward step. You must know. I want the same world as you do, the better one, and the only way to field it is together. We do greater things when we act as one, when we trust each other as equals. This is not a coronation for a King. It is for a King and Queen.||”|
— Francis to Mary in Coronation
The relationship between Queen Mary Stuart and King Francis. The two seem to have some chemistry the moment they set eyes on one another. An attraction between Mary and Francis is ignited. Mary certainly falls for Francis, but the marriage has more to do with politics than love. And although Mary is certainly falling head over her adorned heels for the young soon to be King, he is not so ready to settle down. Francis is attracted to Mary due to her fiery passion. These two not only have electric chemistry, but their conflict between love and duty is truly compelling.
During the series, they have had many complications and obstacles try to come between them; such as Olivia, Bash, and the prophecy but have managed to overcome these. They are now married. During their marriage, their love for each has become more stronger and are currently trying to have a baby. However, Mary learns of Lola's night with Francis due to finding out from Kenna that Lola is pregant and feels betrayed by her as Lola knew that Mary was still in love with Francis and she became engaged to Bash because she was trying to protect Francis from the prophecy coming true.
Mary and Francis were first engaged to each other when they were only six years old. When Mary first entered the French Court as a child they were playmates. In the Pilot, there are flashbacks where they are seen playing on the stairs and in Mary's chambers.
- Francis: We'll prove to them that our union is strong.
- Mary: But it isn't.
- Francis: They'll think it is.
- Mary: Can I be sure of that?
- Francis: You have the word of the king and queen of France.
- Mary: I had their word that we'd be married. I'm not sure words mean anything here.
- Francis: She's not just an alliance. She's a girl.
- ---Snakes in the Garden
- Francis: You do have a way of leaving chaos in your wake.
- Mary: I would rather have hope with you than certainty with anyone else.
- Francis: You're a true Queen, a Queen that any King would kill for.
- Francis: Do you know what my heart tells me now? I should forget politics and be with you, whatever happens.
- ---Hearts and Minds
- Francis: This would be the moment that I declared myself yours, only yours.
- Mary: And I'm yours, truly.
- Francis: And once I did that, I'd probably invite you to the harvest festival.
- Mary: I'd probably say yes.
- Francis: And I'd probably try to kiss you.
- Mary: And I probably wouldn't let you...at first.
- ---A Chill in the Air
- Francis: I see a future for us quite clearly. We would be happy. I would give anything to spend my life, however long, by your side.
- --For King and Country
- Mary: Your mother was the one to show me what was truly in my heart. You. It's you. It's always been you.
- Francis: Does this mean you'll marry me?
- Mary: Yes.
- --The Consummation
- They have been arranged to be married since Mary was six years old.
- Francis will not be trying to fall in love with Mary but will end up failing.
- Olivia had threatened Mary and Francis' relationship.
- According to Laurie McCarthy, they will be pining for one another.
- Adelaide Kane ships them.
- Mary's first kiss was Francis in Kissed.
- Francis made a boat for Mary in A Chill in the Air.
- Mary, just like Catherine, would die for Francis.
- Both of them have had their first kill and were shaken up by it.
- After Francis tells Mary he loves her and Mary and Francis have sex which means Francis takes Mary's virginity in Left Behind.
- They have trended worldwide many times on twitter.
- Mary and Francis ended their relationship, because Mary believed it was the only way to save him.
- Mary and Francis were wed and consummated their marriage in Consummation.