He is portrayed by British actor, Jordan Lee.
King Philip II of Spain married Elisabeth of Valois in the first episode to cement the relationship between France and Spain. Elisabeth was a close friend of Mary before and after she became Queen of Scotland.
Caring, deeply compassionate and very much in love with Elisabeth. Philip was the most powerful ruler of his time.
Phillip is Mediterranean and athletic. The handsome young King is in his mid 30's with dark brown hair, brown eyes, a mustache, and a very short beard.
|Snakes in the Garden||Absent|
|Hearts and Minds||Absent|
|A Chill in the Air||Absent|
|For King and Country||Absent|
|Long Live The King||Absent|
|Slaughter of Innocence||Absent|
|Three Queens, Two Tigers||Absent|
|In a Clearing||Absent|
|Fight or Flight||Absent|
|The Hound and the Hare||Mentioned|
|Bruises That Lie||Absent|
|No Way Out||Absent|
|To The Death||Absent|
|Spiders in a Jar||Absent|
|With Friends Like These||Mentioned|
|A Grain of Deception||Mentioned|
|Leaps of Faith||Mentioned|
|Playing with Fire||Mentioned|
|Love & Death||Mentioned|
|A Better Man||Absent|
|Dead of Night||Absent|
|Coup de Grace||Mentioned|
|A Bride. A Box. A Body.||TBA|
|Blood in the Water||TBA|
|All It Cost Her||TBA|
- Elisabeth is actually Philip II of Spain's 3rd wife, as his first 2 died natural deaths. She was 14 and he was 35, they are both said to have been in a very happy marriage and it is noted through history how Philip would dote on her.
- Historically his marriage with Elisabeth was the happiest time of his life. He was so in love with her that soon after their wedding Phillip gave up his mistress.
- He mourned the loss of his beloved wife for almost a year before he considered taking another wife.
- Philip and Elisabeth's Wedding is moved forward by 2 years. In the show they marry in 1557, but historically they married by proxy on June 22, 1559.
- In 1557, Philip was still married to Mary Tudor.
- King Phillip II was married 4 times.
- King Philip II of Spain was also King of England for a brief period following his second marriage to Mary Tudor, the daughter of King Henry VIII, and elder sister of the eventual Queen of England (Elizabeth I).
- Elizabeth I and King Philip were the most formidable world leaders at the time but not the best of friends.
- King Philip II, in support of Mary, Queen of Scotland and France, plotted an invasion of England as early on as 1559, soon after he married Princess Elisabeth but deferred his decision until he launched an historical assault on England by sea (Spanish Armada).
- With Princess Elisabeth of Valois, he had 1 son and 5 daughters of which only two girls survived infancy: Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain, and Princess Catherine Michelle of Spain. The son was stillborn, twin daughters were a miscarriage, and the last daughter was miscarried and died a few hours before Elisabeth.
- After her daughter's death, Queen Catherine offered Philip her younger daughter Margaret as his next bride but he declined because he thought it was against Biblical and Canon Law to marry the sister of a deceased wife.
- He died at the age of 71.
- Since 1580 he was also the king of Portugal
- He defeated King Henry II of France in 1557 and built the palace of El Escorial, one of the most famous palaces in Europe
- He ruled over the biggest empire ever known.
- His reign started the Spanish Golden Age (siglo de oro).
- His older illegitimate half sister Margaret was married to Alessandro de Medici, Duke of Florence (His mother-in-law Catherine's older brother) until his assassination in 1537. She later married Ottavio Farnese, Duke of Parma.